BetterZip is a fully-featured and user-friendly Mac OS X application that provides the required tools to compress files and folders, edit existing archives, preview their content and password protect sensitive data.
– Extract Only Files You Really Need: If you only need a few files or folders from a larger archive, you don’t have to extract the whole thing. Simply drag the files you need from the BetterZip window to any Finder window or the desktop.
– Open Archives Without Extracting: Not only can BetterZip open archives without first extracting them but you can also search for a file using the iTunes-like interface. BetterZip can open and extract archives with the most common formats: ZIP, SIT, TAR, XAR, XZ, GZip, BZip2, RAR, 7-Zip, CPIO, ARJ, LZH/LHA, JAR, WAR, CAB, ISO, CHM, RPM, DEB, NSIS, BIN, HQX, DMG, EPUB, and Winmail.dat.
– Create Archives: Simply drag files and folders from your hard drives, disks, or network places into your new zip file. You no longer have to copy all the files into a temporary folder first. The supported formats are ZIP, TAR, GZip and BZip2 compressed TAR, XAR, 7-ZIP, and RAR (using the external RAR commandline tool). Large archives can also be split.
– Protect Your Data: BetterZip can protect your data with a password and create AES-256 encrypted archives. 7-zip and rar archives can also be protected.
– Update Archives: Add new or updated files to existing archives. Remove any file or folder from an archive, or even move files around inside the archive as if it were a normal folder.
– Make Archives Compatible: Strip Mac specific files and resource forks from archives for best compatibility with systems like Windows or Linux.
Version 5.2 – 2021-12-14 (for macOS 10.13 and later) New Features:
Create ISO images with various formats.
You can now use the parent folder name of the compressed files as a variable in a save preset’s filename pattern. If items from multiple source folders are packed together, the nearest common ancestor will be used (the same folder that would be used when selecting “next to original” as destination folder.)
Bug Fixes and Enhancements
Open more variations of ISO images, e.g., UDF format
Archive operations are now timed and the final operation time is added to the transcript window and shown in the system notifications.
Added a column for the compression method (STORE, DEFLATED, etc.)
On older macOS versions the Quick Look generator would sometimes not work correctly.
tbz2 is now supported as a filename extension.
Fixed the size of the lock icon in the statusbar on macOS 12.
When extracting RAR archives with .r99, .s99, etc. pieces, these 99er parts were not moved correctly after successful extraction, if a move operation (trash or other folder) was specified in the preset.
Fixed error when extracting with a preset with a forced encoding.