If you are new to production you may not realize the power of midi effects on how they can improve your production, help you generate more ideas, and can be a great substitute for music theory knowledge in creating more interesting melodies and chords. A little about the class and what you will learn. In this class you will learn about how midi effects work and also learn in detail, all the main settings of the most used Midi Effects in Ableton Live.
Who is this for?
If you’re a beginner or recently started in producing music and you feel like you sometimes get stuck for ideas or would like your melodies to have more feeling and movement, then this class will be excellent for you.
A bit about me
Hi! I’m Xylo Aria, I’m a producer and music production educator. I am super passionate about helping independent artists become more self-sufficient in their production and music creation.
What will you need?
For this course, all you will need is a laptop and a copy of Ableton Live Suite.
Through this project, we will create a 16 bar chord and melody using no knowledge of music theory.
1. Select a scale that you want to use for the project (e.g. C Minor)
2. Create 4 random midi notes in a midi track of 4 bars each and add a scale effect with your selected scale in step 1
3. Duplicate this track and add a chord effect to this track with an additional 2 notes in the chor to your original note. Move the scale effect after your chord effect. This will be your chord progression
4. Record your track in step 3 into another track.
5. Add an arpeggiator to this track and have some fun with the settings to create a melody you like
6. Add a Random to your track and add a bit of randomness to your arpeggiated melody