BetterZip is a fully-featured and user-friendly Mac OS X application that provides the required tools to compress files and folders, edit existing archives, preview their content and password protect sensitive data.
Create and Update
– BetterZip can create archives with these formats: ZIP, DMG, TAR, TGZ, TBZ, TXZ, TZ, Zstandard, Brotli, 7-ZIP, XAR, and — using the external commandline utility — RAR.
– Modify archives: Open an archive and add, delete, rename, and edit files. It’s super easy.
– Compatibility: Have BetterZip remove Mac specific files from archives for archives that look and behave well on Windows.
– Edit archived files in an external application and BetterZip can save the changes back and update your archive.
Open and Extract
– BetterZip can currently open and extract over 30 archive formats including: ZIP, TAR, TGZ, TBZ, TXZ, TZ, Zstandard, Brotli, 7-ZIP, RAR, Apple Disk Images (DMG), TNEF (winmail.dat), ARJ, LHA, LZH, ISO, CHM, CAB, CPIO/CPGZ, DEB, RPM, StuffIt’s SIT and SITX, BinHex, MacBinary, ePub, JAR/WAR/EAR/SAR/PAR/WSR Java archives, CBZ/CBR e-books, GZip, BZip2, WIM.
– BetterZip can also join split files with enumerated file extensions 001, 002, …
– Open and extract winmail.dat files.
– Open, extract, and modify ePub files. BetterZip is not a replacement for a real ePub editor, but since ePub files are really just special zip files, why not use BetterZip to peek into or even modify them.
– Extract images and sounds from PDF or Flash files.